peppercornjournal

about development of peppercorn into a real baby.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Mumbai daze

I'm thinking that Amelia will never know the city I grew up in - Shivaji park, with its big open spaces - that i learnt to cycle, and swim, and play tennis (badly) and run. Because there are no parks around where I live!!
And safety - I never thought twice before strolling down to G's place for a stayover at 9pm in my jammies - well, maybe I should have - that way I'd probably have avoided the jungle jungle mowgli song. But you know, I'm a breed of paranoid mothers who atleast right now thinks that her daughter is going to have a chauffered car at her disposal 24hours, because our roads arent safe anymore.
And oh, as I grew up and went partying with crazy abandon - well, she wont have the staying up till 4am and driving back with the milkvan, trying to shush hysterical giggles sneaking in to the house. Because everything shuts by 12.30am, now.
And those fantasies about making wasabi her first fancy meal - it was mine, is gone now. With so much else - the innocence of our city dies with the 92 riots...but we still had other virtues - tolerance, fortitude. Now we're just mad - and I dont want her to grow up mad and cynical.
I dont want her to know about crazed gun toting men, who belive that a community will get its due because they killed a few hundred people and had us frozen in our tracks. I dont want her to think this is what different people do to each other - it should be about biryanis and sufi songs traded with ganpati modaks and diwali mithai. What am I going to tell her? I'm still shaking

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home